Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Weight Watchers Wednesday

I realized that I had totally fall off the wagon in posting each week....we've still been weighing in, but I think my posts have been few and far between and I just figured that was the last thing that you wanted to hear! Since my last post, I have lost a total of 2 more pounds! It's slowly but surely melting away....Raymond is such an inspiration and motivation to me and doing this with him has been so much fun. He definitely keeps me on my toes. Lately I have found some really yummy dishes so I wanted to share this one with you, this will be tomorrow night's supper....

Baked Ziti with Turkey Sausage
Makes 8 servings
POINTS value per serving: 6
Ingredients
3/4 pound mild turkey sausage, casings removed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
One 28-oz can diced tomatoes
One 10-oz package frozen peas, thawed
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
12 oz dried whole wheat ziti, cooked according to the package's instructions and drained
6 oz fat-free Mozzarella cheese, grated*Note* If the cheese is too soft to grate easily, allow it to "harden" in the freezer for 15 minutes, and then proceed.
Instructions
Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
Crumble the sausage meat into a large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
Drain off any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, peas, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered 5 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in the pasta and half the grated cheese. Spread evenly into a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Top evenly with the remaining cheese.
Bake until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before serving.
Doesn't this sound good?!?! I'll make sure I let you know how it was with pictures included!!
It's POURING down rain here so we're all hunkered down trying to bear through the downpours!! Hope it's not as nasty where you are!!
Love,
Charlotte

3 comments:

  1. That recipe sounds REALLY good...& it's been super nasty weather-wise here as well, blah! Also, congrats on the 2 lbs. It's better than nothing, for sure! I wish I could claim the same for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recipe sounds great! Good job on the 2 pounds!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh it is!! I hate rain :-(

    That recipe sounds delicious! I did weight watchers for a bit and it does work!! I'm guessing Raymond is your husband? That's awesome he's doing it with you. My husband just tempted me with cookies... lol

    ReplyDelete

what are you observing these days????